I Got My Bend Back

 

Today something happened that made me celebrate. Without even thinking about it, I sat down cross-legged on the floor.

It was such an ordinary thing that most people wouldn't even notice it. But I did.

Just a few weeks ago, I couldn't sit like this. After my knee replacement, even bending my leg enough to get into this position seemed impossible. It took months of physical therapy, stretching, determination, and more than a little frustration.

As I sat there, I realized this wasn't an accident, it was the result of hundreds of small decisions and hard work.

When my physical therapist asks me to do three sets of ten leg lifts, I often do a fourth. When he tells me to hold a stretch for thirty seconds, I sometimes hold it for forty-five.

Not because anyone is watching.

Not because I'm trying to impress anyone.

Because I want my life back.

Improvement rarely comes from doing only the minimum required. It comes from consistently giving just a little more than yesterday.

That thought carried over into my years in Human Resources.

One of the most challenging coaching conversations wasn't about employees who made mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes.

It was with people who only did exactly what was assigned—and then stopped. They never looked around to see what else needed attention. They rarely asked, "How can I make this better?" or "Is there another way I can help?"

The employees who stood out weren't necessarily the smartest or the fastest.

They were the ones who took ownership.

They noticed problems before someone pointed them out. They made thoughtful suggestions. They looked beyond their own job description because they cared about the success of the whole team.

Whether we're recovering from surgery, building a career, learning a new skill, or simply living our lives, growth usually happens one extra repetition at a time.

One extra stretch.

One extra idea.

One extra act of initiative.

Today, sitting cross-legged wasn't just about my knee.

It was a reminder that the little things we choose to do, especially when no one requires them,have a way of
changing our future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother’s Legacy: Remembering My Mother This Mother’s Day

When Connection Isn't Immediate

Just Because You Can Doesn’t Mean You Should