When Someone Dies
Over the past day, I've seen many social media posts celebrating the death of Senator Lindsey Graham.
Whether you agreed with his politics or disagreed with nearly everything he stood for isn't really the point I'm thinking about today.
A man has died.
Somewhere, family members are grieving. Friends are remembering conversations they'll never have again. Staff members who worked beside him are mourning someone they knew personally—not simply as a public figure, but as a human being.
What saddened me even more were the comments wishing that others would soon follow. We have become so divided that, for some, political differences seem to outweigh our shared humanity. I find that heartbreaking.
We can debate ideas. We can challenge policies. We can vote differently and speak passionately about the direction of our country. Those conversations are important in a free society and can be saved for another time.
But now, when someone dies, I hope we can pause before celebrating.
Showing respect at the end of a person's life doesn't mean we suddenly agree with every decision they made. It doesn't erase history or change deeply held convictions. It simply acknowledges that every human life has value.
I've often written that every life leaves memories behind. Every person is someone's child, someone's sibling, someone's spouse, someone's parent, someone's grandparent, someone's friend.
Every life has a story.
His did.
Yours does too.
Perhaps the measure of our humanity is not whether we agreed with someone while they were living, but whether we remember their humanity after they are gone.
Kindness is never wasted.
And respect costs us nothing.

Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Comments are welcome!