Facts, Analysis, Opinion
For years I've noticed the bickering that seems to go on between political parties. It often feels as though we've moved away from simply reporting the who, what, when, where, and how of a story and toward telling people what to think about it.
What's often missing is analysis—and our own ability to use critical thinking to draw our own conclusions.
Let's take a quick look at the difference.
Fact: What happened?
Analysis: What might it mean?
Opinion: What do I think about it?
Here's a simple example.
Fact: Work starts at 9:00 a.m.
Analysis: A traffic accident delayed the employee on the way to work.
Opinion: The employee doesn't care about office rules and is lazy.
Facts don't need interpretation. They are simply what happened. They are the foundation.
Analysis is different. This is where we try to explain or interpret the facts. We ask, "What might this mean?" We look for patterns, possible causes, and likely outcomes. Good analysis can help us better understand a situation, but it is still an interpretation.
Opinion answers yet another question: "What do I believe about it?"
All three have value. The problem comes when we confuse one for another.
It reminds me of the years I spent teaching managers and employees. Whether we were writing SMART goals, conducting a performance review, or investigating a workplace concern, we always started with observable facts—not assumptions. Only after we understood the facts did we begin to analyze what they meant. Opinions came last.
Life works much the same way.
Whether we're reading the news, listening to a friend, or trying to understand a family disagreement, it helps to pause and ask ourselves:
What are the facts?
What is someone's analysis of those facts?
And after considering both... what do I think?
I've found that asking those simple questions helps me listen a little more carefully, think a little more deeply, and react a little less quickly.
Maybe that's something we could all use a little more of these days.

Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Comments are welcome!