Caitlin's Star Presentation - It's Not Just for Kids
Today I visited the Long Branch Senior Center to share Caitlin’s Star. I'd hoped the story would invite people to reflect and share memories and the group gave me so much more.
They were warm and welcoming, and so willing to talk. There were tears, smiles, laughter, and hugs.
During our activity, many of the women wrote about what they imagined their loved ones might be doing among the stars. What amazed me was how often their answers involved music. Someone was singing. Others were directing or conducting, playing the drums, or singing opera. Each answer was personal, yet music seemed to connect so many of their memories.
One woman wandered into the room without signing up. Afterward, she told me she was so glad she had come because she was grieving and the program gave her a sense of peace. Then she said something I'll carry with me: “There was a reason I was there today.” Others shared similar feelings.
After the program ended, we stayed seated together and simply talked. No one seemed in a hurry to leave.Caitlin’s Star began as a story I told my young daughter after her grandmother died. Today, it brought a group of adults together to remember people they love and to listen to one another. I’m so grateful to everyone who opened their hearts to me and to each other.
If you know an organization that would welcome a Caitlin’s Star reading and reflection program, please let me know. The program is free—and, as today reminded me, sharing our memories can be freeing, too.

Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Comments are welcome!